Author:Adeniyi Akanni

Adeniyi Akanni

Mathematical Sciences

Program of Masters & PhD in Computer Science
Faculty of Engineering
Anchor University Lagos, Nigeria




One of the current scientific advancements is manifested in Internet Compliance Technology (ICT) of mobile devices with commercial transactions. Software entrenched in cloud technology facilitates cost reduction by the banking sectors through resource opportunity. Inadequacy of the existing security in mobile banking is a threat to ICT by this sector. There is a perceived compromise of Personal Identification Number (PIN) and unauthorized access to cloud data. With the advancement in technology, the technology of mobile devices has made it easy for operations and activities to be carried out anywhere at any time. The acceptance of mobile technology has received a wide span over the years; the banking sector is not left out in this coverage. This brought about the introduction of mobile banking, a conventional way of carrying out banking transactions by customers anywhere they are at any time. All a customer for now needs is a mobile device with the mobile banking app (application) on it, and a four digits PIN as well as optional password. Then, the customer will have access to the account details as well as balance in the account and with this could transfer funds, pay for goods and services without being in the banking premises. As acceptable as this mobile banking is, it comes with associated challenges which needs to be addressed, one of which is the issue of identity theft. From various research works reviewed it has been identified that the security of mobile banking application can easily be compromised. This is as a result of ease of impersonation that has been discovered, customers may be careless with both device and PIN, or there could be loss of device which will make an unauthorized user gain easy access to a customer’s account. This is because all that is needed to access the account is just a four digit PIN which can be guessed by anyone. Hence, the need to introduce a more robust means of identification and authentication of the account owner not just with PIN alone but with feature such as biometrics features of the owner of the account. In light of the above, this research looks at securing mobile banking by introducing a cloud based hybrid authentication approach to the mobile banking system. This was accomplished by designing a system that adopts the PIN authentication harnessed with bimodal biometric authentication system. The bimodal biometric is a fuse of both fingerprint and face biometric. Touch Base Dynamic Authentication model was adopted as well as face recognizer. This allows the users PIN, fingerprint and face to be captured. They are routed via the internet to the authentication servers, PIN, fingerprint and face Authentication servers hosted in the cloud. The design adopted binary search for matching of the query PIN with the PIN stored in the cloud. Also for the fingerprint and authentication, the research employed image processing technique, where the fingerprint biometric was made to go through various stages of image processing and the important features of were extracted using an extraction Algorithm the Principal Components Analysis, this extracted features were stored in the cloud. Minutiae were the feature considered on the fingerprint. Matching of a query fingerprint biometric was done with that which has been stored in the cloud using Fourier Transform, a pattern matching algorithm. Authentication and access is granted based on perfect match found in all. The proposed solution was found to be adequate and effective compared with the existing PIN-based authentication method. The obtained results show that the False Acceptance Rate (FAR) was o% while the False Rejection Rate was found to be 98%. This implied that it was impossible for an intruder to gain access to the mobile application whereas there was a chance of 2% of denial of access to authentic user. Therefore, this system is recommended for use by banking sectors as well as commercial firms that rely on other mobile application in their regular transactions. For further studies, it is recommended that a sync of other biometric feature with that which has been used may be considered. Keywords: Hybrid, cloud, biometrics, fingerprints and mobile banking.


AUTHOR - Adeniyi Akanni
••••••IJSER Edition - September 2019

UNIVERSITY - Anchor University Lagos, Nigeria
Sunday Idowu
Oludele Awodele