Thermal Performance of Thermosyphon Charged by Nanofluid for Cooling Electronic Component
Full Text(PDF, 3000) PP.
| Author(s) |
|M. G. Mousa|
| KEYWORDS |
Two phase loop Thermosyphon, Thermal Performance, Nanofluids, Cooling of Electronic Devices.
In present work a experimental study based on thermosyphon is investigated using a solid nano-particles added to water as a working fluid. Tests are made on a thermosyphon. The experiment was performed in order to measure the temperature distribution and compare the heat transfer rate of the thermosyphon with the nanoﬂuid and with pure water. The tested concentration level of the nano-particles is 0%, to 1.2%. Results show that the addition of 1.2% (by volume) of Al2O3 nano-particles in water presented improved thermal performance compared with the operation with pure water. Results showed that the total thermal resistance, using Al2O3-water based the nanofluid is enhanced by 57% at f equal 1.2 % compared to that of pure water, depending on filling ratio and volume fraction of the nano-particles in the base fluid. The experimental data are compared with the available literature and discrepancies between results are discussed.
(1) Choi, S.U.S, ""Enhancing thermal conductivity of fluids
with nano-particles"", in: D.A. Siginer, H.P. Wang (Eds.),
Developments and Applications of Non-Newtonian
Flows, in: FED, vol. 66, ASME, NY, pp. 99-103,1995.
(2) Gross, U., and Hahne, E.,""Heat transfer in a two-phase
thermosyphon operating with a fluid in the near critical
state,"" Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 28, pp.589-601,
(3)Lin, L., and Faghri, A.,"" Steady – state performance of a
thermosyphon with tube separator "", Applied Thermal
Engineering Vol. 17. No. 7, pp. 661-679, 1996.
(4) Gillot, C., Bricard, A., and Schaeffer, C.,"" Single- and
two-phase heat exchangers for power electronic components"",
Int. J. Thermal Sciences Vol. 39,PP 826–832, 2000.
(5) Beitelmal, M. H., and Patel, C. D.,"" Two-Phase Loop:
Compact Thermosyphon"", Internet Systems and Storage
(6) Mcglen, R. J., Jachuck, R., and Lin, S.,"" Integrated thermal
management techniques for high power electronic
devices"", Applied Thermal Engineering ,Vol.24 ,PP 1143–
(7) Jouhara, H., Martinet, O., and Robinson, A.J., “Experimental
Study of Small Diameter Thermosyphons
Charged with Water"", FC-84, FC-77 & FC-3283- 5th European
Thermal-Sciences Conference, The Netherlands,
(8) Maezawa, S. and Takuma, M., “Heat transfer characteristics
of the R113 annular two-phase closed thermosyphon,”
JSME series II, Vol. 31, pp. 469-476, 1988.
(9) Ueda, T., Miyashita, T., and Chu, P., “Heat transport
characteristics of a closed two-phase thermosyphon,”
JSME series II, Vol. 32, pp. 239-246, 1989.
(10) Tanaka, O., and Koshino, H., “Heat transfer characteristics
of a copper-water wickless heat pipe,” JSME series
B, Vol. 60, pp. 2826-2832, 1994.
(11) Lin, T. F., and Shyu, R. J., “Experimental investigation
of geyser boiling in an annular two-phase closed thermosyphon,”
Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 38, pp. 295-307,
(12) Noie, S.H., Zeinali, S., Kahani, M., and Nowee, S. M., “
heat transfer enhancement using Al2O3/ water nanofluid
in a two phase closed thermosyphon International Journal
of Heat and Fluid Flow 30 , pp.700–705, 2009.
(13) Mehta, B., and Khandekar, S., 'Two-phase closed thermosyphon
with nanofluids' 14th International Heat Pipe
Conference (14th IHPC), Florianópolis, Brazil, April 22-
(14) Khandekar, S., Joshi, Y., and Mehta, B., ""Thermal performance
of closed two-phase thermosyphon using nanofluids"",
International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 47
(15) Khandekar, S., Joshi, Y., and Mehta, B.,"" Thermal performance
of closed two-phase thermosyphon using nanofluids
""International Journal of Thermal Sciences 47,
pp. 659–667, 2008.
(16) Liu,Z. , Yang, X., Wang,G., and Guo, G. ""Influence of
carbon nanotube suspension on the thermal performance
of a miniature thermosyphon"" International Journal
of Heat and Mass Transfer vol.,53 , pp. 1914–1920,
(17) Liu, Z., Yang, X., and Guo, G., "" Effect of nanoparticles
in nanofluid on thermal performance in a miniature
thermosyphon, Journal of Applied Physics, 102, 013526,
(18) Huminic, G., Huminic, A., Morjan, I., and Dumitrache,
F., ""Experimental study of the thermal performance
of thermosyphon heat pipe using iron oxide nano-
particles"" International Journal of Heat and Mass
Transfer 54, pp. 656–661, 2011.
(19) Xue, H., Fan, J., Hu, Y., Hong, R., and Cen, K., ""The
interface effect of carbon nanotube suspension on the
thermal performance of a two-phase closed thermosyphon"",
Journal of Applied Physics, 100, 104909, 2006.
(20) Parametthanuwat, T., Rittidech, S., and Pattiya A., “A
correlation to predict heat-transfer rates of a two-phase
closed thermosyphon (TPCT) using silver nanofluid at
normal operating conditions” International Journal of
Heat and Mass Transfer 53, pp. 4960–4965, 2010.
(21)Collier, G., and Thome, J.,"" Convective Boiling
and Condensation, Clarendon Press, Oxford,
(22) Faghri A., Heat Pipe Science and Technology, Taylor
and Francis, 1995.
(23)Das, S. K., Choi, U.S., Yu,W., and Pradeep, T., ""Nanofluid
Science and Technology"", Wily-Interscience,